No person is same the next second and so is you. Expectation causes disappointment. Acceptance is the only cure

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An Optimist and a Pessimist

There are two sets of people in this world. One who believes that “it will happen” and the other thinks “what if it does not happen”. Both these sentiments are essential. Not a single person who always sticks to one of the above stance. Pick up who is an optimist and who is a pessimist. The fact is an optimist is not always an optimist and a pessimist is not always a pessimist. One essentially has to done a dual role. Just as we read in central excise regarding classification of goods, a person will be termed as optimist or pessimist by reference to the quality that represents the primary characteristic of a person. In other words, the proportion of optimism or otherwise determines the true character of the person. A person who believes in himself in my view is an optimist, belief that he could or could not do something. For instance, if I say I cannot reduce my weight to 40 Kgs, I am not a pessimist in that matter for I know how much I could reduce (don’t ask me how much. I am thinking of it). The abundance of clarity in thought also drives the proportion of optimism in a person. A pessimist usually lacks such clarity. He looks for reasons for not being able to accomplish something. He worries much about past and future. Never thinks about the moment he is in. It doesn’t mean that an optimist does not see the future or learn from the past. Again the proportion of it determines an optimistic person. One important fact is that one ( I ) can never judge a person as an optimist or otherwise just by his appearance. True appearances are deceptive. Its rather difficult if not impossible to determine the character of a person. My question now is whats right or wrong in being pessimistic or optimistic. As I could digest, by being pessimistic one does not enjoy the freedom of being optimistic and by being optimistic one does not realize the pressure of being pessimistic. An optimistic person does not, foresee adverse situations and hence to a certain extent planning skills are hit, analyse much into the past as he never dwell or worry about the past. A pessimistic person looks to be a more tedious worker, always planning for adverse things, worrying about the past and looking too much into the future. So what is the answer to the question raised??? Its obviously simple. It depends on situations to say whether being optimistic or otherwise is right or wrong. There is an even simpler job. You know what??? It is to comment that one should have been optimistic or otherwise. I believe that result should not be a factor in determining whether a person is optimistic. Highly successful persons can be pessimistic and vice versa. So why exactly I am telling all these??? Or what is that I am intending to communicate?? Answer is I don’t know. I was just thinking of different people around me and how they react to situations and tasks on hand. I have come across people who have a sense of insecurity in whatever they do and think. They are extremely cautious. Not to call them a pessimist, they are conservative. On the other hand, there are others who just do not care about whats happening around them or even what they do. These people go by their instincts and never worry about the future. And there will be others, who believe that they are optimistic but are in fact pessimistic. One unique character I know thinks that of itself as pessimistic, but is the most optimistic person I have ever met. And others wondering whether they are optimistic or in fact pessimistic. Ooohhhh, Having said all these what kind of person am I??? Well, you have to comment. For me, I belong to the cadre wondering about my character. What about being pessimistically optimistic or optimistically pessimistic???? We may be knowing it but difficult to comprehend. That’s an abrupt end.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha it seems most of the assessment are with personal vengance!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice to see such an attempt. rate you 70%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one...but it would be better to know the names of ppl around you based on whom you wrote the article...if not through the blog, atleast through the mail...80%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice attemt(to confuse...lol)I for one see a pessimist,as an optimist, because he is optimistic in his pesimistic thoughts.I rate u 75%

    ReplyDelete